Sunday 29 August 2010

Takasaki Candlelight Festival







Last night, I went up to the mountain above Takasaki to visit the Goddess of Mercy statue and to see the annual candlelight festival. Before it got dark, a group of us crazy Takasaki JETs (just kidding guys) walked up the inside of the statue. The view from the top was really beautiful, despite the heavy humidity that creates a haze over the city...

Once it got dark, the candles were lit and the view was spectacular: thousands of candles in spiral shapes on the streets. Kids with lanterns and people making wishes...very cool! :)

I even bought a little red Daruma head...you are suppose to paint one eye when you make a wish and paint the other eye when it comes true...I think that is such a great idea. It makes me want to buy 10 of them (hmm...sounds like capitalism...)

We were going to bike up...I'm so glad we didn't and drove instead...the hills would have been killer! Enjoy the photos :)

No comments:

Post a Comment