Saturday 21 August 2010

Takasaki Festival Aug 7, 2010





Two weeks ago, I went to the Takasaki Festival. It was amazing to see all of the people dressed up in traditional costumes beating the drums and showing off their amazing shrines. The point of the drums is to "out drum" the other drummers in a battle of the drums. They all sound amazing to me...even kids participated in the event.

Along with the drums and shrines were many food stalls, games, and chanters in the streets. It was certainly a nice way to welcome us to their city...this was my first week in Takasaki. :)

I have to say, I really admire how traditional and modern the Japanese are at the same time. I also love how polite and respectful people seem to be, even to foreigners who know about 20 words in Japanese so far ;) Every day, I am trying to learn new phrases and words. In one week, I will start my Japanese class and I'm excited to learn the language!!

No comments:

Post a Comment