Saturday 21 August 2010

Leaving Tokyo for Takasaki...

This is a picture of the capital of Gunma: Maiebashi, where we met our supervisors and had a second orientation before driving to Takasaki.



Tokyo at night is really fun and colorful. Even though I speak little Japanese, I was able to order a delicious first meal of inari, tempura, and udon noodles...delicious!

We spent three nights in Tokyo before being shipped off to our prefectures by bus, car, train, or plane (depending on your final destination!)

I took a 2.5 hour bus trip to Gunma prefecture. As soon as we got off the bus, we went to a ceremony at the Kencho (Prefectural Office) to meet our supervisors. I think all of us were nervous to meet them, but once the ceremony began, we could tell that they were just as excited and nervous to meet us...

The Japanese LOVE ceremonies...so we all took turns shaking hands with our supervisors. Short and sweet... :)

Immediately after the ceremony, we were driven by our supervisors to our new home...Takasaki! In Takasaki, we immediately went to the city hall to file for our alien registration cards and Japanese bank account. This day was brutually exhausting, but definitely a must for foreigners living in Japan. I am so thankful to the other ALTs who helped us move in and to our supervisor who was so patient with us.

The next 5 days, I spent living in my host family's guest house in Takasaki. I lived in a small, but nice two-story guest house with Angela, a JET from New Zealand. We slept on Japanese tatami mats and futons, which definitely takes getting use to...I am thankful to my host family and their generosity while we stayed with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment