Friday 26 November 2010

Japanese Enkai: All you can eat and drink party!






On November 26, I experienced my first enkai event in Japan. These enkai parties are famous for being fun, loud, and full of food and alcohol. Since people drink at these parties for several hours, people need to first figure out how they are going to get to and from the party (Japan has a zero tolerance for alcohol consumption when driving). So--I took the good ol' bus to and from the Chinese restaurant.

Upon arriving to the private room, you remove your shoes, take off your jacket, and enter the room by saying "Konbanwa!" , which means "good evening". After sitting and having your drink filled to the brim with beer, everyone shouts "Kanpai!", which means "cheers" and the official way to start the party. At these events, you never pour your own drinks, always pouring for others. As the guest and newbie to the event, I made sure to keep pouring everyone's drink all night. Our principal and vice principal were also there...this party was a celebration of our recent observation day when many people from the board of education came to watch our lesson. The teachers were hilarious as the evening went on...getting more and more tipsy. ;)

Enkai's have the same policy as Las Vegas: What happens at the enkai, stays at the enkai. I didn't stay until the end because I had to catch my bus, but I could tell the party was definitely a success. Throughout the night, I drank two cocktails called "Ringo Sour" or Apple sour, and some wine from Australia, which was all included in the price. You pay one price and you get all you can eat/drink for the night. Each dish was brought out separately and beautifully presented.

We ate: dumplings, spicy tofu with rice, chicken and vegetables, fish (not for me ;), yummy coffee cakes for dessert etc...

I am so happy I got to experience this very "Japanese" event where everyone miraculously can speak better English when they are sort of drunk and have a good time. I expect the office to be "normal" when I return next week...but, I'm secretly glad that I got to see my colleagues relax and have fun outside of the normally busy and stressful school environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment