Wednesday 24 November 2010

Autumn in Japan










Since leaving California in August, I have experienced extreme weather changes in Takasaki. When I first arrived, the weather was hot, sticky, and unpleasant to walk outside because temperatures were around 40C! But now, the weather has cooled down and during the day, it is about 13-15C and colder at night. As I was on my way to school today, I saw my first snow peak in the distance...it must have snowed up there 2 days ago when we had a big rain shower.

Autumn in Japan has been really gorgeous...the leaves change into bright yellow, orange, and reds...these colors are not really seen back in California. It is exciting to experience four real seasons in Japan. The pictures I have posted today are from the Gunma Flower Park, where I spent the afternoon last weekend wandering around the zen garden, looking at leaves, and eating delicious udon noodle soup.

I also recently celebrated my 25th birthday at a delicious Indian restaurant with other JETs and ran in a local 10K race, which was fun at quite humbling at the same time. I ran with many other high school track teams who certainly ran 10x faster than me! But, I made it to the end in one piece and I even received a commemorative towel as my reward for finishing!

Apparently the weather will be the coldest in January and February, so I'm looking to layer up during those months. The one advantage to having the mini-sized apartment that I live in is you don't have to really heat it...it insulates itself! My apartment is compact and stays warm enough during these colder months. Please enjoy the photos!

On a side note, school has been going well. Today, I had an intense observation from the Takasaki Board of Education. During our co-taught lesson, the JTE (Japanese Teacher of English) and I taught the students about occupations/job, while twenty people (all in black suits!) took notes on clipboards...!! Luckily, this was not a "surprise" lesson and we were able to plan ahead, but the nerves were definitely there with so many eyes watching us. Luckily, the lesson went smoothly and the kids seemed to have fun, despite the tension with having been observed by so many people. We were able to incorporate several minutes of dialogue, activities, and fun games to keep the students interacting with one another, speaking English, and staying engaged and energetic. I was even able to deliver with 3 lines of Japanese I need to say as part of a demonstration without messing up...whew! ;)

Working at the elementary school once a week is such a nice change and the most exciting part of my week. I go to Seibu School once a week and get to play games and teach English all day in a welcoming and fun environment...the kids are so excited to see me and interact in English. They have no boundaries or fear when it comes to talking to me...unlike the junior high students who often get nervous or fear saying the wrong thing in class. I am really enjoying my teaching life here in Japan...I am constantly thinking about the similarities and differences between teaching in Japan and California. Both have their pros/cons...

What I've noticed in Japan:
1. Students remain in the same classroom all day
2. All students wear uniforms
3. After school, students are assigned different rooms to clean in the school
4. Students must stand at the beginning and end of each class
5. Most of the time, students are expected to listen and not ask questions. Although, I think with the JET program and ALT's presence in school, students are encouraged to speak out more/interact in English etc...
6. The textbook seems to dictate the direction of the lesson
7. Genders rarely mix in conversation/activities (unless required by the teacher)
8. Students eat their lunch in the classroom along with the assigned homeroom teacher
9. Japanese teachers/students brush their teeth immediately after eating the lunch meal ;)
10. Students and teachers must wear "indoor" shoes inside the school...i.e. shoes that have never been worn outside...to keep the school clean
11. Creativity doesn't seem to be praised as much as accuracy

I am taking notes during my time in Japan and I hope to come up with an interesting research topic for future studies. I think the education systems between countries is a fascinating place to begin! Thanks for reading :)



No comments:

Post a Comment