Sunday 24 October 2010

Haruna Matsuri Festival 10-16-10






Last weekend, I participated in the Haruna Matsuri Festival. This experience was truly authentic because I actually had the chance to "be" in the festival and wear a traditional "happi" outfit. During the festival, the participants wear white gloves (to protect their hands) while they strongly pull a thick rope attached to a beautiful and moveable shrine on wheels. On the shrine, there are three to four taiko drummers keeping the beat as we work hard to get the shrine up the hill. Working as a group, we finally make it to the top where the festival begins and games and food are everywhere.

Once we made it to the top, the taiko drummers battle it out to see who has the best beat all night long. We were given a complimentary dinner and many thanks for our participation. All of Haruna came to see the "foreigners" who were in the festival. The night was really fun and the lights on the shrines shine beautifully at night.

Dinner was delicious. We each got a bento box full of rice, sushi, and noodles. Everyone was very friendly and I even saw one of the math teachers that work at my school. The great thing about Japanese festivals is the food--everywhere you look, there are amazing stalls of food that smell and taste delicious. For dessert, I treated myself to an ice cone, mixing the cola and strawberry flavors together...yum!

By the end of the day, my arms were very sore, but the pain was worth the efforts. As I was pulling the rope alongside an older Japanese woman and man, I came to realize that these memories will be my most lasting for me this year. I am grateful that I was able to experience the Haruna Matsuri Festival. It was an amazing experience.

The locals were so nice and excited for us to be in their festival. At night, we were treated to an "enkai" (welcome and/or thank you party) with food, drinks, and many smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment